LeezBlog

Personal reflections and creative expressions related to an endless, changing array of subjects including Yoga, Israel, Running, Spirituality, Travel and Life.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend with Mamady







This weekend, I was honored to participate in an African Drumming workshop with internationally renown djembe master, Mamady Keita. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djembe and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamady_Ke%C3%AFta ) I was introduced to a variety of old Mandingue rhythms. The Mandingue tribe historically lived (and continues to live) in the western area of Africa, in a region now encompassed by five different countries.

In addition to drumming, my classmates and I received lessons in chants and African history, thus taking my experience beyond musical into cultural. I acquired an appreciation for the concept that Djembe is an instrument used by villagers to accompany the singing, clapping and dancing of life-cycle festivals.

Something about experiencing a notion kinesthetically gives an unparalleled richness to ideas such as the celebration of women bringing lunch to men working in the field. In retrospect I consider how much I stand to learn from a village that creates such intense joy from what I might ordinarily consider the merely mundane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home